Memoirs of a Sarcastic Intern

CHAPTER 1
The Covert Call


June 8th, 2016….sometime around 4 pm

Well, there I was laying in my cozy bed after a fortnight of hectic exams….and idling of the last few days of my short sabbatical before I get nailed down with my internship, (at least that’s what the general idea of an internship prevails). It had barely been an hour since I came from the exam hall, a small victory of sorts…knowing that I won’t be carrying any backlogs (well, hopefully); the cell phone began ringing murderously. I had just gone into a deep summer slumber, and as you can imagine what an awful time to be answering calls (am not exactly a morning person). I almost yanked the phone to the side of the bed, but then I thought; let’s give the poor soul on the other end a chance. Reluctantly I picked up the phone, barely putting it next to my cheeks, as I muster up the words…”Hello”

A soft voice on the other end speaks up, “Am I speaking to Anupam”

“Yes”

“Hi Anupam, this is regarding the mail you dropped for the Summer Internship. Is this a good time to talk?”

I immediately jumped off my bed. Aggressively blinking my eyes couple of times, I try to bring my mortal self to reality. Trying hard not to sound like I had been in the sweet lap of mother sleep, I utter, “Yeah, it’s a perfect time to talk”

“Hi Anupam, this is Bhawna here. I have received your CV and I had some follow up questions.”

She inquired if I was a student of DBS, the duration of my internship, from when do I intend to start, and the like.

After the small ceremony, she quips, “Okay Anupam, tell me, what do you mean by HR?

My first instinct was to grab the reference book (aka the ubiquitous VISION) that was lying 
next to my bed, and answer her question verbatim. I almost did it, still half-awake from my short slumber. Then I was like, Dude, I am not going to answer ‘what is HR’ from a reference book. Use your fucking head for a change.

Then I went on, trying to answer that one simple question with the wisdom gained over two decades of moon-walking through my life. She then went on asking the common sleuth of questions….and I was like… (Kid, I had prepared for tougher questions, and you are giving me half-volleys). The micro telephonic-interview ended with her saying that she would call me later with the time and day of the interview. As soon as she had uttered those words, I ended the call, placed it on the table, and fell on the bed like King Tommen, of Game of Thrones fame, diving off from his castle into absolute and blissful death (non-GOT fans, which would be most of my friends, would be like King who, what, death. Jesus!)

I hadn’t even gone to what-I-should-say STAGE II of my tiny slumber, the phone began singing again. From the corner of my eyes, I could make the last two digits of the phone, and I presumed it would be that Bha…ma…wa…something

Before I could utter Hello, reluctantly, again….


She said, “Hi Anupam. Just wanted to let you know that the interview has been scheduled for tomorrow morning 10 am. I will text you the address soon.” I thanked her and hung up. 

As soon as I did that, I had this big realization….WHO was she, and more importantly where was she calling from?

..............................to be continued.............................

Comments

  1. hey 11July @4 pm I was hopelessly hoping to figure out some common questions for the xam that morning lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Hilarious Adventures of Village Misfits

Journey of an Ambivert : Chapter 1